Development of long superconducting tapes with improved engineering properties, produced by a green processing route.
The Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, which is part of the Technical University of Denmark, is seeking a motivated scientists for a PhD position within a new research project aiming at developing superconducting coated conductors.
The final goal of the project is to produce a 100m long tape using a cheap, water based sol-gel process for the manufacture of REBa2Cu3O7 thin films by dip-coating on both sides of bi-axially textured metal substrates by year 2014. The work will encompass various aspects including chemical technology, metal and ceramics processing, physical characterization, design, building and testing a pre-pilot production plant. This project is part of a long-term research program aiming at producing superconducting wind-mill generators.
This project will be centered on the deposition of buffer layers on both sides of the metal substrates by means of dip-coating. The work will mostly encompass:
- Preparation of coating slurries and studies of their wetting properties
- Studies of gel decomposition, in-situ microstructure evolution by means of x-ray (synchrotron) diffraction and environmental electron microscopy
- Composition, microstructure and texture characterization using electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Surface characterization (AFM, grazing incidence X-ray diffraction, etc.)
- Development of continuous deposition and characterization process for long tapes (up to 100m).
- Master of Science or Master of Civil Engineering within metallurgy, materials science, physics, chemistry or equivalent
- Experience with laboratory work
- Experience with at least some aspects listed in the above work descriptions
- Ability to work independently and to be a part of a dynamical group
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
An exciting and challenging education in an international environment. Good possibilities for professional and personal growth. A family friendly organization with flexible working hours.
Terms of employment
The terms of employment will be in accordance with those of scientific staff at universities. Most of the project will be performed at the Materials Research Division of the Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy unit of DTU in Roskilde. The candidates are further expected to spend some time at external international measurement facilities and in other departments of DTU. The starting date is 1 January 2010 or upon agreement. The position is for a fixed duration of 3 years.
We must have your online application by 16 March 2009. Please open the link “apply online” and fill in the application form and attach your application and CV.
For further information, please contact Senior Scientist Jean-Claude Grivel, +45 4677 4739 or Research Specialist Niels Hessel Andersen, +45 4677 4711.
On the Web you can read more about DTU on dtu.dk/English.aspx, about Risø on risoe.dtu.dk and about the Materials Research Division on